What are viral warts?
Viral warts are common growths that can occur anywhere on the body. These growths are caused by a virus known as HPV (human papilloma virus). The warts are spread by direct contact with normal skin.
Are there many types of warts?
There are many types of warts. These include the following:
- Plantar warts – soles of feet
- Genital warts – on genitalia
- Mosaic warts (soles of feet)
- Filiform warts (long warts that stick out like hairs)
- Plane warts (flat warts)
What are the treatment options for this condition?
There are various therapeutic options available depending on the site and number of the warts. These include the following:
- Duofilm wart paint (salicylic /lactic acid)
- Podophyllin paint
- Cantharidin (0.7%) –Blister beetle extract
- Electrocautery and curettage
- Intralesional interferon -3 x week for 3 weeks
- Intralesional Bleomycin
- Oral Cimetidine
- CO2 ablative laser/ vascular laser
- Photodynamic red light therapy
- Candida Antigen immunotherapy